2018-12-29

Brian's Favorite Vinyl Records of 2018

2018 was a resurgence in vinyl record buying for me.  That's both a good and a bad thing.  Basically, I spent most of my extra money on adding to my collection.  That's awesome, and also expensive.  As I looked through my catalog of records I found that I bought twenty-one albums released in 2018 on vinyl.  With so many great albums still being released in the age of streaming, I thought I would highlight my ten favorite albums from 2018 that I own on vinyl.  To make my list the album had to be released for the first time in 2018.  That means, no reissues, remasters, special deluxe versions, exclusive releases or back catalog items are part of this list (and there were a lot of great ones this year).  If it was first released in 2018 and I bought it, it's eligible for this list.  So, what ten albums made my favorites list? Let's find out...

Honorable Mention: 


I had a great time trying to rank my top ten and moved a few in and out as I did so.  It's never easy to get those final positions in the list when you love so many albums, so before we get to the top 10 here are a few that just missed making the list.


Ashley Monroe - Sparrow (Warner Music Nashville)
The Devil Makes Three - Chains Are Broken (New West Records)
Slash featuring Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators - Living the Dream (Roadrunner Records)

The List:



10. Dee Snider - For the Love of Metal (Napalm Records)


Right off the bat I need to confess that I was never really a big Twisted Sister fan, nor have I ever really listened to Dee Snider's solo music.  So why would I buy this album? Well, I trust people's judgment and a musician friend of mine told me it was amazing and worth checking out.  Add the fact that Amazon was having a sale on the album and I said, why not? I had no clue what to expect, but for the price I paid, I was willing to love or hate it.  The assault on my ears that followed was completely not what I expected at all.  Dee Snider comes out hard and heavy and blisters your ears with heavy metal goodness right from the start.  When it was over I was blown away.  I'm told that not all Dee's other solo projects were heavy like this one is, so I'm glad I bought this one.  Highlights include Tomorrow's No Concern, I Am the Hurricane, and For the Love of Metal.  I can't think of a better album to kick start this list than Dee Snider's For the Love of Metal.

9.Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of the Peaceful Army (Republic Records, Lava)

I have not seen as much of a split opinion on a band as I have seen this year about Greta Van Fleet.  People want to complain that they are ripping off Led Zeppelin, but who cares? The songs are great, the band is tight, and the album is fantastic.  Some of my favorite bands are bands that sound like my other favorite bands.  That's why I liked them in the first place.  Greta is a group of brothers teaming up with a good friend to write and record kick ass tunes.  I mainly bought this album to see what all the fuss was about, and I quickly became a fan.  Highlights include When the Curtain Falls, Lover, Leaver (Taker, Believer), Age of Man, and Brave New World.  In all, Anthem of the Peaceful Army is a truly great record by a group of kids 21 and under.  Well done I say.  Ignore the haters and keep on keeping on. 

8. The Smashing Pumpkins - Shiny and Oh So Bright - Vol 1/LP - No Past, No Future, No Sun (Napalm Records)

We all know that the Smashing Pumpkins have been around forever, but let's face it... after the 90s nobody really cared that much.  Billy Corgan replaced so many people in the band, that it felt like the Billy Corgan band and not the Smashing Pumpkins.  Admittedly I had stopped caring after seeing them play like crap at Lallapalooza in 1994.  I was so turned off by the show I refused to buy or support the band for over 20 years! Silly yes, but I have my principles.  Fast forward some, oh, 20 years and Billy Corgan is now promoting pro wrestling (another passion of mine) and I heard a song of his in one of the promo videos.  I took a chance and bought his solo album and really enjoyed it.  Then Billy announced that he was putting the band back together... the original band... well almost.  With Jimmy Chamberlain and James Iha back in the fold, the Smashing Pumpkins would be touring and releasing a brand new album.  I decided it would be worth a pre-order and when it arrived on release day I put it on with great expectations.  Normally high expectations mean a letdown, but not with this album.  I enjoyed every last morsel that Billy Corgan fed me.  The songs sounded fresh, yet classic.  The addition of Iha added an element missing from later Pumpkins albums.  Highlights include Knights of Malta, Solara, Marching On, and Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts).  Yes, the names are strange, but the songs are great, and Shiny and Oh So Bright... easily makes the top 10 albums of 2018 for me. 

7. Jason Mraz - Know (Atlantic Records)

Jason Mraz was never really my thing, and I never really followed him or his music.  Sure I knew of his song I'm Yours; I mean who didn't? He just never was the kind of musician I got into.  I never would have thought to buy this album if it wasn't for my acoustic duo partner, Stacy, playing the album in the car during a ride to a gig one night.  She played me her favorite tracks and I thought they were pretty darn good.  The next day I looked up the album and added it to my Amazon wishlist for future consideration.  Then the album dropped down below the $15 threshold one day and I quickly ordered it up.  As I immersed myself in the songs that filled the album, Know, I found myself really enjoying what I was hearing.  Does that mean I am a fan of Jason Mraz now? Not necessarily, but I am a fan of this album.  I think it is fantastic.  Highlights include Love Is Still The Answer, Making it Up, Have it All, and Unlonely (my personal favorite track).  Jason clicks all the right buttons on Know, and it deserves a spot in your record collection. 

6. Cody Jinks - Lifers (Rounder Records)

Cody Jinks has a pretty cool story.  He was a lead singer in a thrash metal band who one day decided he had enough and began singing and writing country music.  Holy opposite ends of the spectrum Batman.  And we aren't talking any old country, we are talking classic outlaw country.  I was introduced to Cody Jinks by a friend who asked if I would be interested in playing music for a get together of Flockers (Cody Jinks fans).  I figured I better figure out who Cody was before I committed to such an undertaking.  I had heard his name before from people who heard I was a Sturgill Simpson fan but never took the time to look into him.  I quickly fell in love with the song I'm Not the Devil.  When I saw this album was coming out and Amazon had it on pre-order for $15 I decided to take a chance.  Holy crap was I missing out.  This album is straight fire! The lead single Must Be the Whiskey is a favorite in my household.  Since buying this album, I have purchased most of Cody's catalog on either vinyl or CD if no vinyl was available.  That is how much I loved this album.  I'd also like to consider myself a Flocker now.  Highlights include Must Be the Whiskey, Holy Water, Somewhere Between I Love You and I'm Leaving, Colorado, and Desert Wind.  The whole album is awesome and it easily makes the top 10 of 2018. 

5. Stone Temple Pilots - s/t (Rhino Records)

Since the sad passing of Scott Weiland, Stone Temple Pilots have been trying to find a lead singer that not only compliments the band as a whole but can handle the spotlight sure to rain on the new guy in the band.  They initially worked with Chester Bennington (Linkin Park) on vocals, but fans didn't really flock to the new version of STP and Bennington was still focused on Linkin Park.  In 2016, after a search for a new lead singer, STP landed an X-Factor season 3 runner-up Jeff Gutt.  Gutt has been performing STP songs regularly, and his voice is very similar to Weiland making him a good fit for the band.  The first single with Gutt, Meadow, was released in November 2017, and in January 2018 the self-titled album was released.  I pre-ordered the album and was very excited to give it a spin when it arrived on release day.  I was instantly a fan of the new STP.  Gutt has a perfect voice for the band, and the music is classic STP.  Highlights include Meadow, Thought She'd Be Mine, and Roll Me Under.

4. Alice In Chains - Rainier Fog (BMG Records)

I'll admit that I was skeptical when I heard Jerry Cantrell was bringing Alice in Chains back after over a decade since Layne Staley passed away, but when Black Gives Way to Blue came out I was sold instantly.  Rainier Fog is the third album to feature the new lead singer William DuVall, and what an album it is.  True to the Alice in Chains form, Rainier Fog, is filled with scorching guitar riffs, and signature Alice in Chains harmonies.  Highlights include Deaf Ears Blind Eyes, The One You Know, and the amazing title track Rainier Fog.  I loved Black Gives Way to Blue, but Rainier Fog is the best thing the group has done with DuVall in the band.  

3. Eric Church - Desperate Man (EMI Records Nashville)

Eric Church has been a busy man lately putting out lots of new music between sold-out tours.  This album popped up on my suggested list from Amazon, so I took a look and decided to pre-order it.  I enjoyed The Outsiders but missed picking up Mr. Misunderstood, so without knowing anything about Desperate Man I took a chance.  It arrived on release day, so I popped it on and give it a listen.  Awesome is the first word that came to my mind once the album finished.  Church has hit it out of the park on Desperate Man.  Highlights include The Snake, Hippie Radio, Jukebox, and a Bar, and the awesome title track Desperate Man.  This album deserves to be in the top ten of everyone's lists. 

2. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (MCA Nashville Records)

Kacey burst onto the scene as a songwriter with the smash hit Mama's Broken Heart (Miranda Lambert), and then plowed through the country landscape with her debut album, Same Trailer, Different Park in 2013 reaching #2 on the Billboard Top 200.  She followed that up with another hit album, Pageant Material, in 2015 which reached #3 on the Billboard Top 200.  With her third album, Golden Hour, Kacey took on the subject of love with her classic wit and charm.  The album defies classic wisdom and starts with a soft ballad called Slow Burn that sets the mood for the songs you are about to experience on the rest of the record.  It's a great start and Kacey's voice shines.  Highlights on this album include the aforementioned Slow Burn, Space Cowboy, Wonder Woman, and Velvet Elvis.  

1. Blackberry Smoke - Find a Light (3 Legged Records)

Blackberry Smoke is easily my favorite band of the current decade.  This years release, Find a Light, is one of their best to date.  From the opening riff of Waiting for the Thunder, the closing chord of Mother Mountain, Blackberry Smoke hits you with straight-up southern rock lightning.  Highlights include Run Away From It All, Let Me Down Easy, Mother Mountain, and Best Seat in the House.  There isn't a single song on the album I would skip, and that makes it my favorite album on 2018.


So there you have it.  I have highlighted my top ten albums of 2018.  As I mentioned previously, these are albums from the twenty-one releases that I purchased on vinyl.  There are so many other albums that came out that I just didn't purchase yet that may deserve to be in this list as well and I would love to hear from you on which albums make your list.  Please post a comment with your feedback on my list, and include albums you really enjoyed.  I'd love to add a few more to my collection in 2019.  Once again, thanks for reading and keep on spinning friends.

Thanks for reading this blog.  Please share it with your social media followers.  Follow me on Instagram or Facebook, and please subscribe to the Brian's Vinyl Records podcast which is available on your favorite podcatcher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. We will review it and as long as your comments aren't crude, mean or vulgar, we'll post them!