2019-01-26

Vinyl Review: Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses (Run Out Groove)

The year was 1994, the month was August, and the venue was the Mirage Nightclub in Minneapolis, MN.  I was a young kid aged just 16 years when I stepped into that venue that night to see Motley Crue headed up by their new lead singer, John Corabi.  I couldn't have been more excited since I was one of the Crue fans who loved the new direction they took with Corabi at the helm.  I was out with my good buddy James and we got there early so that we could be right up front.  We made it all the way into the second row of people (it was open floor) and waited patiently for Motley Crue to take the stage.  Neither of us had heard of the opening act, Type O Negative, before the show and didn't know what to expect.

As we waited for Crue, the lights went down and we got our first look at this band, Type O Negative.  Peter Steele walked right up to the mic and told the crowd how much they sucked before launching into a brutal ear assault that I couldn't take my eyes off of.  It was amazing, to say the least.  My jaw hit the floor as I listened to John's thundering drums, Kenny's drop tuned guitar licks, and Peter's pounding bass, and accented by Josh's haunting keyboards.  Then Peter began to sing in his low voice and I was hooked!  I had never seen or heard anything like it before.  I knew I needed to buy their CD as soon as possible.


The next day I made a trip to my local Best Buy and found a cassette copy of Bloody Kisses and bought it.  That same day, James pulled up to my house and showed me his brand new CD copy of the same album.  We were so excited and proceeded to listen to the album remembering how awesome the show was.

Fast forward to present day, and I have started collecting my favorite albums on vinyl again.  As I have stated before, I went in search of all my favorites only to find many of them out of reach because of price, and Bloody Kisses was one of them.  The album was fetching upwards of $250 used on Discogs and hadn't been reissued on vinyl since the initial release in 1993.  Imagine my utter delight when it was revealed that Run Out Groove was reissuing a deluxe version of the album for Black Friday/Record Store Day 2018.  I HAD to get a copy.  I planned and plotted how I could get my hands on a copy of the three LP version limited to 3000 copies worldwide.  On the day of the release, I woke up early, headed to my favorite local record shop and stood in line for two hours to make sure I took this beauty home with me.  I was seventh in line that day and knew my chances were very good.  I immediately went after a copy of Bloody Kisses once I was in the door and couldn't wait to crack it open once I got home.

When I was finally able to open my prize I was utterly pleased with what I saw.  The album comes in
a trifold package that includes the original artwork, poly lined black sleeves, and gorgeous green and black splatter vinyl.  It looked cool and when I put it on the record player I was immediately transported back to my 16-year-old self experiencing the album for the first time.  The quality of the vinyl is excellent.  The music sounded rich, full and amazing.  It was really like I was hearing it all again for the first time.

What I really loved about this version of the album is the included third LP.  As with many deluxe versions, it included material not found on the original release.  The song "Suspended In Dusk" was left off the first version of the album and later put on a deluxe CD version.  It is finally included in this package.  Also included is their cover of the song "Black Sabbath" that was included in the Nativity in Black: A Tribute to Black Sabbath release from 1994.  That third LP then includes some alternate mixes of "Summer Breeze", "Christian Woman", "Black No. 1", and "Blood & Fire" all of which are fun to listen to.

Overall, the package is amazing.  Run Out Groove did a fantastic job with this release.  I know that Music on Vinyl (MOV) released another version of the album in Europe right around the same time, and I don't know how well it stacks up to the Run Out Groove release, but knowing Music on Vinyl it is top notch quality.  Being that this was a record store day release and only limited to 3000 copies worldwide, it is likely going to be very difficult to find a copy without paying an extreme amount for it.  If you are able to get the MOV copy from Europe, I would recommend grabbing a copy.  Once in a while, they pop up on Amazon for a good price.  You can also try Edsawesomesounds.com as they sometimes have the ability to get a copy.

I hope you enjoyed my review of the Run Out Groove release for Type O Negative's Bloody Kisses album.  I really hope we get more of the Type O catalog soon because it's an amazing stash of music.  As always you can look at more pictures of the packaging below this article.  Also, please check out our new website located at briansvinylrecords.com.  There you can find some industry news, some links to pre-order some albums I am looking forward to, as well as my recommendations (located at the bottom of the page) on vinyl gear and albums.  NOTE: Any purchases from the links on the site are part of the Amazon Affiliate program and we do earn a small percentage of money from them.  That money is used to pay for hosting of the site, and if there is any left over it goes to our vinyl addiction.  If you do purchase using one of our links, we thank you sincerely.  If not no worries, we still thank you for your support of the blog and site. 


Thanks for reading this blog.  Please share it with your social media followers.  Follow me on Instagram or Facebook, and please subscribe to the Brian's Vinyl Records podcast which is available on your favorite podcatcher. 


Inside left flapInside middle flap

Inside right flapFirst fold flap

Rear artwork



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. We will review it and as long as your comments aren't crude, mean or vulgar, we'll post them!